Scotchpie wrote:
> All of the executables in /usr/bin do run when typing in the command,
> eg: $ mozilla, and up pops the browser.  The only problems seem to be with
> these applications mentioned before which interestingly have a flashing red
> background.
> Even as root I get the same message as I do as a user:
> bash: g++: command not found

Andrew,

Since no one has responded so far, I'll offer a hint (because that's all
I can do) -- the flashing red background indicates a problem, and I
think it means that what you are looking at is a link, and the link is
broken somewhere, somehow.  Maybe you can attempt to track down the
link.

Try doing an ls -al on the link, and then backtrace to the destination.

(To confirm the flashing red link for myself, I created a link to a
non-existent directory by typing "ln -s nonexisting", and then did an ls
-al in the directory from where I issued the ln -s command.)

Good luck,
Randy Kramer