I didn't have any trouble w/my nvidia card but I did with 2 other boxes( rage
128 & a permedia card,can't recall the model). I think you're on the right
track w/the text login.From here I'd start w/the lowest resolution
possible,800x600(or lower) @256 if I had to.

Fwiw..both of the trouble cards are(for now) working acceptably. I took
Traci's suggestion (thanx Traci :-) and went with the above mentioned text
login. I still use this as it's better than going thru the horror of an
ill-acting x server  :-)

Lee