Hi all,

Tonight I went over and upgraded my CPU and Motherboard to the above
system..

It now gets 3073.64 Bogomips... (was 2779.72 with a standard Athlon 1.4)

Anyway, the upgrade went flawlessly till I went to boot mandrake 7.2

It started, then started framebuffer, then detected the drives,
then it stopped at this:

ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7, 0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177, 0x376 on irg 15

it hadn't locked up, because the caps and number lock keys still worked.. it
just sat there doing nothing... for ages, I let it go for 30 minutes and
nothing changed. that was kernel 2.2.19-5.1mdksecure I could find nothing in
the logs to detail the problem but didn't expect to, because at this stage,
it isnt' writing anything to the logs.

Then I did the 3 finger salute and selected the default 2.2.17-26 kernel...

that worked, and it booted up..

So my question is, why does it boot 2.2.17, but not 2.2.19??? I don't want
to leave it like this because 2.2.17 was buggy and had security flaws didn't
it?

(I tried to boot 2.2.19-4.1mdksecure as well, same problem as 5.1,, sat
there doing nothing.)

I will be upgrading the system to mdk8.1 in a week or so,  but I want this
thing to be secure until then..

Can anyone make any suggestions?

One last observation, is that kudzu and harddrake could not load anythign
for the chipset, harddrake showed 4 unknown VIA "other devices" which was to
be expected, but the system worked well enough otherwise.. (except for the
2.2.19 kernels.)

rgds

Frank.