From: Tim Holmes [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, 13 November 2001 5:04 AM
To: Franki
Cc: NEWBIE Mandrake List
Subject: Re: [newbie] MSI KT266A and Athlon 1800+ Wooohooo!!! but a tiny
problem. 3073.64 BOGOMIPS!

Did you do any sort of compile for this other kernel?  OR was it a rpm
install?  If so, you may want to try uninstalling the kernel, then
installing it again.  It will then try and rebuild it, and it may work then.
Just a suggestion.

Another suggestion, don't install 8.1.  Install 8.0.  8.1 has been nothing
but hassles for us here, and a lot of people on th elist have found problems
with it as well.  I would suggest 8.0.
tdh

  T. Holmes  |  UNIXTECHS.org  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  UIN:  17021091
 | Hi all,
 |
 | Tonight I went over and upgraded my CPU and Motherboard to the above
 | system..
 |
 | It now gets 3073.64 Bogomips... (was 2779.72 with a standard Athlon 1.4)
 |

 | Anyway, the upgrade went flawlessly till I went to boot mandrake 7.2
 |
 | It started, then started framebuffer, then detected the drives,
 | then it stopped at this:
 |
 | ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7, 0x3f6 on irq 14
 | ide1 at 0x170-0x177, 0x376 on irg 15
 |
 | it hadn't locked up, because the caps and number lock keys still worked..
it
 | just sat there doing nothing... for ages, I let it go for 30 minutes and
 | nothing changed. that was kernel 2.2.19-5.1mdksecure I could find nothing
in
 | the logs to detail the problem but didn't expect to, because at this
stage,
 | it isnt' writing anything to the logs.
 |
 | Then I did the 3 finger salute and selected the default 2.2.17-26
kernel...

 | that worked, and it booted up..
 |
 | So my question is, why does it boot 2.2.17, but not 2.2.19??? I don't
want
 | to leave it like this because 2.2.17 was buggy and had security flaws
didn't
 | it?
 |
 | (I tried to boot 2.2.19-4.1mdksecure as well, same problem as 5.1,, sat
 | there doing nothing.)
 |
 | I will be upgrading the system to mdk8.1 in a week or so,  but I want
this
 | thing to be secure until then..
 |
 | Can anyone make any suggestions?
 |
 | One last observation, is that kudzu and harddrake could not load anythign
 | for the chipset, harddrake showed 4 unknown VIA "other devices" which was
 | be expected, but the system worked well enough otherwise.. (except for
the
 | 2.2.19 kernels.)
 |

 | rgds
 |
 | Frank.
 |
 | Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
 | Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

  4:01PM  up 19 days,  4:41, 3 users, load averages: 0.08, 0.05, 0.01