On Tuesday 13 November 2001 08:40 am, you wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 15:03:01 -0800
>
> "Robin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > HI, all
> >
> > I clean installed Mandrake 8.1 on a P166 box to set it up as a mp3 box.
> > Everything works alright, except the sound card. The sound card only
> > works after I run sndconfig, it will recognize the sound card correctly
> > and start working. What I have to do now is to logon and run sndconfig
> > every time I reboot the box. I am guess it's a problem with IRQ setting,
> > I have tried turning PnP on and off in the bios, no luck there. Is there
> > a configuration file to set IRQ for ISA cards? or any other idea?

I had a similar problem getting my sound card at home to work properly.  I
have a sound blaster live, and every time I booted up the machine and started
KDE, the opening sound would play properly, but I could not get the mixer to
work.  Even after running sndconfig, it would not keep my settings past a
reboot of the system.  I looked into /etc/modules.conf, and there was the
correct entry for my sound card, so I assumed that it wasn't loading
properly.  So I copied the entry from my /etc/modules.conf file (ALIAS
SOUND-SLOT-0 EMU10K1) to my /etc/modules file (SOUND-SLOT-0 EMU10K1) to
pre-load the module at boot time, and presto, everything works now.  Don't
know if this will work for you, but maybe it will help someone out.
--
Terry Sheltra
PC Technician / Network Administrator