24-net... which one?  Are you running off a RoadRunner connection?
They closed down port 80 after the CodeRed fiasco.  So you'd have to
change the port you use for your webserver in httpd.conf to something
like port 90.  That's what most people do.  http://name.dns.com:90/  is
how you'd access it.

But make sure you have the processes running.  Run these commands.

[root@r2d2 /root]# /etc/init.d/httpd status

Apache is running.
httpd: 1308 19629 19628 19627 19310 19309 19308 19307 1074

Apache-mod_perl is running.
httpd-perl: 1064 1063 1062 1061 1060

Use /etc/init.d/httpd extendedstatus for more information.

[root@r2d2 /root]# /etc/init.d/network status
Configured devices:
lo eth0
/Devices that are down:

Devices with modified configuration:

[root@r2d2 /root]# /etc/init.d/sshd status
sshd (pid 709) is running...

If you get output similar to that, then you should be able to acquire
connections from the outside world.

By default, Mandrake 8.0 does not install Bastille, and even if you do
have iptables installed, there aren't any set up to block certain
traffic.

First thing, make sure you can ping the machine.  Can you ping your
work machine?  There might be something on your work firewall that's
denying you.  So do some testing on both sides to find out where the
problem is.
tdh

  T. Holmes  |  UNIXTECHS.org  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  UIN:  17021091
 | I have a little problem.  I set up a web page on my linux mandrake 8.0
 | server and am unable to get to it remotely.
 |
 | I can connect to it on a small local network (3 winblows systems and a
 | mandrake server) by typing in the ip of the local address (192.xxx.x.x)
 | or the external ip(24.x.x.x)but as soon as I try to connect from out side
 | ie work there is no trace.  no ping no telnet no ssh no nothing.
 |
 | I am not running a firewall (to my knowledge).  Any help would be great.
 |

 | Lost in Linux
 |
 | Mike

 | Get your own free email account from
 | http://www.popmail.com
 |
 | Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
 | Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

  9:20PM  up 20 days, 10 hrs, 4 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00