>     The main problems with usin vanilla source are you need to be
> savvy enough to read the Makefile, figure out ahead of time where the
> software will be installed and what it's fixin to do. Then either
> edit/patch that file/source to fix it to be 'your distro' specific,
> or use the appropriate switches.

Well now, what exactly are you speaking about in terms of fixing it to be
'your distro' specific?

I'm not entirely sure that this necessarily applies to the particular fight
that I'm having now--since neither everybuddy nor GnomeICU has worked very
well on here, I resolved (stumbled upon) to try kxicq... I originally
intended to install it from source, but it turned out that I didn't have the
C++ compiler installed and my installation disks are on loan, so I turned
around and tried to do it from RPM... and that's where the real fun started.
:P

But I imagine that I'm going to be wanting to do things like update the c
libraries and so forth here, and I fear that such things may not be easy w/
rpms; for all I know I may've already -broken- those very libraries by trying
to 'update' (rpms are weird to me; I'm not sure if that's what I was doing or
not :P) them because of an unsatisfied dependency from kxicq. :P

So what I'm really wondering is if I can use the old-fashioned methods of
rebuilding the kernel, updating the c libraries, and installing some
programs, while still using rpms from time to time as well.

N.
BTW--I'm not a complete newbie; I attempted linux once in the past but never
quite got it (well, x, really, and I'm a sucker for GUI) working properly, so
I know (and have forgotten) just enough to be dangerous, probably ;)--on that
older attempt, I did upgrade the c libraries and recompile the kernel the old
way a few times. :P