Retracing my steps, that was a 3com

100mbps NIC that automagically installed
and not the Linksys Gigabit. Sorry.
I hope I didn't mess anyone up.:(
It is still faster!

The cable internet seems to come up automagically
on LM7.2,8.0,8.1 if the NIC comes up.I have not
tried it without the router in there, though.
I started with LM7.2 because I read all the
bad experiences on this list with 8, and I had
purchased the 7.2 set of 8cd's. 7.2 cable net worked
great the first time!

Formatted the drive
and loaded LM8.0 from the iso disk while not on cable.
When I had cable, I ran the Mandrake Control
Center from the icon on the KDE desktop and
ran the Network and Internet autoconfig. This
eventually worked after playing with it for
half an hour, or so.

Formatted the drive and loaded
LM8.1 while I was on cable. It came up and worked
properly with no changes.

Sorry again.
Jim Lynch