This i do know.

Originally using metrics capitals were used when it was a persons name
only.
Like Pascals in kP for air pressure. Since then though the computer
industry
has adapted things for their own use. After all we are the only ones
that do
not use a metric kilo. A kilo byte (kB) = 1024 bytes.
And a mega byte = 1048576 bytes (1024 * 1024).

So really now it is quite common to see adverts etc. that use
kb, KB, Kb or kB all on the same page. Standardisation of the metric
prefixes
has been blown out the window in our industry. But hell... how often is
it
really important anyhow?

My opinion only folks (and no - i am not flaming anyone)

Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:

> Yes, I think you're right there. The general rule is that a capital letter
> signifies something larger than the base unit, by a given magnitude. Conversely,
> a lower case letter is smaller than the base unit, by the same magnitude. For
> example,
>
> MB = megabyte (a thousand bytes)
> mb = millibit (a thousandth of a bit)
>
> Since there is no such thing as a millibit, people take "mb" to mean "MB".

Michael