On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 19:13:29 -0800 (PST)
"James F. Marshall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:23:11 +0100, Frans Ketelaars wrote:
>
> >"> Here are the sound lines that I have in /etc/modules.conf.
>
> I commented out following line 1:
>
> >"> 1   alias sound-slot-0 ad1848
>
> Now, during boot, I see a message that the cs4236 driver loaded
> OK, and I hear a crackle.  From that point on, I hear no sound
> no matter what I try to run.
>
> How do I un-mute sound?
>
> The ESD Volume Meter does not work.  It reports the error that
> it "cannot connect to sound daemon."  It says to run "esd" at a
> command prompt.  I get the same error message even after running
> "esd" at a command prompt as root.  When I try to run "esd" as a
> non-root user, I get the following error messages:
>
> esd: failed to fix mode of /tmp/.esd to 1777
> esd: Esound sound daemon unable to create unix domain socket:
> /tmp/.esd/socket
> The socket is not accessible by esd.
>
> KMidi reports an error that it "can't open Output Device."
>
> XMMS would start but would not play sample.midi .  XMMS produced
> no sound and no error report.  It just seems to ignore efforts
> to play the file.
>
> The Audio Mixer fails to start.  It reports that it is not able
> to open the audio device, suggests checking for permission to
> open /dev/mixer (I don't seem to have such a file), and says to
> make sure that sound support is compiled into the kernel.
>
> I left following lines 2-5 alone:
>
> >"> 2   alias char-major-116 snd
> >"> 3   alias char-major-14 soundcore
> >"> 4   alias snd-card-0 snd-card-cs4236
> >"> 5   alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
>
> Commenting out the following lines appeared to make no
> difference:
>
> >"> 6   alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> >"> 7   alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> >"> 8   alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> >"> 9   alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> >"> 10  alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
>
> >"Yes, you must delete or comment out line 1. After a reboot the ad1848 module
> >"hopefully is out of the way. (there are other ways to remove unwanted modules
> >"of course). You can check with '/sbin/lsmod' which modules are loaded. Note:
> >"snd-ad1848 is _another_ module which _may_ be needed by ALSA for you soundcard.
>
> As noted, I still hear the crackle after commenting out the
> ad1848 driver in modules.conf.  Does that mean I probably don't
> need it?
>
> I'm confused about whether and what sound support to have
> compiled into the kernel.  Given that I am using the ALSA driver
> and it appears to be loading from modules.conf, do I still want
> sound compiled into the kernel?  How do I check to see whether
> sound is compiled into the kernel and whether it is the right
> sound support?  If I have the wrong sound support in the kernel,
> or if I do not want any sound support into the kernel, how do I
> get it OUT of the kernel and boot from the modified kernel?  Do
> I want to compile ALSA support for the cs4236 into the kernel?
> [...]

Your standard LM8.1 kernel is OK, don't worry ;)

> >"These lines are for OSS/Free compatibility and you do need them for most
> >"applications. I'm now listening to XMMS with the OSS output plugin, while
> >"using the ALSA drivers.
>
> I'm trying to ensure that old and new sound stuff works.  Do
> lines 6-10 above appear to be the correct way to do?  As noted,
> I am clueless about the meaning of services 0, 1, 3, 8, and 12.
>
> >"> My modprobe command was "modprobe snd-card-cs4236".  Is that
> >"> sufficient?
> >"
> >"Yes. If you didn't get any error it seems the ALSA driver was loaded!
>
> I see no error -- in fact, I see that the ALSA driver loaded
> "OK" -- during boot, prior to X.  Does that mean that the
> modprobe command was okay?  If not, should I expect to see an
> error message, apart from hearing no sound?

What does 'cat /proc/asound/cards' report? Do you use devfs (it's standard
in LM8.1) ? You unmute channels with a mixer but your problem is the mixer
complains about /dev/mixer. When I boot with devfs I get this:

[frans@amd frans]$ ls -l /dev/mixer
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           11 Nov 21 18:29 /dev/mixer -> sound/mixer
[frans@amd frans]$ ls -l /dev/sound/mixer
crw-------    1 frans    audio     14,   0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/sound/mixer
[frans@amd frans]$

Btw, I normally boot without devfs (there was some security issue IIRC) and
sound then also works well. Anyway, I think the ALSA driver loads OK, OSS
emulation is set up correctly, but there can be problems with using/not using
devfs, permissions, the use of a sound daemon like esd ... I can only wish
you the best :)

> Linux is difficult!

I read a post in french (!) on the alsa-user list (!) recently from someone
who lost sound after his 'upgrade' to Windows XP ....

> --
> Jim Marshall

    -Frans