Greetings,

I installed LM8.0 on a computer at work and ran into a problem.

During installation i configured a dialup (ppp0) account to our ISP using a
3com external modem on ttys0

After rebooting and loading into linux for the first time i made sure that the
dialup account worked by logging in as root and running /sbin/ifup ppp0. This
part went fine.

I made a few backups (thank god!) and went into netconf to change ppp0 so that
it could be controlled by any user. This was the only change made and netconf
did not report any errors but now when anyone, root or a regular user, tries
to run /sbin/ifup ppp0 the pppd daemon exits with either error #6 unable to
lock the serial port, error #8 connection script failed, or error #17 which is
serial loopback detection. The most common is error #17. The other 2 show up
about 1 time in 10.

After tring /sbin/ifup ppp0 about 100 times and double checking everything
over and over again I finally gave up for the day and went back into netconf
and changed it so that regular users could not control the device. Then went
back and tried /sbin/ifup ppp0 and it started exiting with the same errors.

Being totally frustrated i restored the backup i had made of /etc and then
tried /sbin/ifup ppp0. It worked flawlessly. I then went home and ate turkey,
mashed potatoes with gravy and washed it all down with a few cold ones while
watching football. Man what a way to alleviate stress. :)

Came back in this morning and performed a format and complete reinstall only
to run through the same problems all over again.

Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix it?

On another note, I was considering installing LM8.1 but has read somewhere on
this list previously that Mandrake had broken the automount. Is there a patch
out yet that corrects this?

Thanks in advance,
Ian K. Harrell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]