I spoke too soon about having Nvidia drivers working

 I think I screwed something up yesterday.

After Tux Racer locked up, I re-read the docs for the Nvidia drivers and
went and modified the PAM security module (as suggested if OpenGL apps exit
with an error):

I disabled the security feature by editing the /etc/security/console.perms
file.
I removed the line that starts with "<dri>" amd tjem reset the permissions
on the NVidia device files by doing:

chmod 0666 /dev/nvidia*
chown root /dev/nvidia*

Then rebooted...

Well, then I couldn't log in as a regular user.. only as root. So after 5
failed attempts to log in as a user.. the login locked me out and displayed
an error message about "line 79" in the /etc/security/console.perms
file.

That line 79 was trying to do something with the nvidia device files (which
now were owned by root).

I logged in as root, and UNDID the changed to the console.perms file.  Only
I couldn't remember what were the original permissions for the nvidia
device files were, so I left them as owned by "root".

AFter this I was able to log in as a USER, but when I tried to Shutdown my
system.. it locked during shutdown process....

Well, I just gave up then and did a re-install of Mandrake 8.1 (or rather
an upgrade) - to revert all my settings (and hopefully all system files)
back to square one.

So, now I'm at square one... no nvidia drivers installed.... I'll try to
install the drivers again.

I figured something went wrong by me using the rpm drivers at first, then
trying the tar files, then modifying that console.perm file.. so I'll stick
with ONE set of driver files this time.

if I use the tar files I'll try the patches that Onur sent me