On Sun, 2001-11-25 at 10:53, Mr. E. wrote:
> So, now I'm at square one... no nvidia drivers installed.... I'll try to
> install the drivers again.
>
> I figured something went wrong by me using the rpm drivers at first, then
> trying the tar files, then modifying that console.perm file.. so I'll stick
> with ONE set of driver files this time.
Actually, I suspect the opposite since I have just successfully gotten
the Nvidia drivers up by using the 8.1 rpms from MandrakeUser, the
Instructions from MandrakeUser and the one missing instruction from
MandrakeUser, the need to go all the way down to a system power off and
cold boot after the drivers are installed.

That worked perfectly for me, YMMV, but I think where you got into
trouble was trying to fix the failures after the rpm install by changing
security permissions rather than power cycling the system. I could
easily have gone there because most of the early advice focused on
fixing the security problems and that might have been important with
versions of Mandrake prior to 8.1, but with 8.1 and using the
MandrakeUser rpms it isn't necessary to do anything to the security
settings. The fixes you attempted probably put you in a position where
the proper setup couldn't work even after a power cycle.

I would urge you to try the MandrakeUser 8.1 rpms again, run XFdrake to
set your resolution, shutdown, power off, and cold boot. That is all
that is necessary for 8.1 with a stock kernel. Anyone who has updated
their kernel will ofcourse need to use the sources to recompile. The
only area of possible confusion would be if people didn't know which of
the three 8.1 stock kernels they have. I have the download edition of
8.1 and the Nvidia kernel rpm that worked with that one is the one that
is refered to as the standard kernel. Obviously, those of you with
multiprocessors will recognize that you need the smp rpm, I wasn't sure
which versions of 8.1 would use the third kernel option but I correctly
suspected that they wouldn't include the download edition.

Traci