On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Carroll Grigsby wrote:

> Grant Fraser wrote:
> >
> > I give up trying to upgrade a piece at a time. When trying to upgrade to KDE
> > 2.2.2 I found that it wanted me to install "setup" which conflicts with
> > "bash" and I cant force it.
> >
> > Is there an 8.1 upgrade disk? even with cable internet it still takes 10
> > hours to download one ISO. The last time I tried to do that I just got bad
> > disks and actually had to go out and pay money for an OS.
> >
> > I may even have to give up on linux altogether. No sound, crappy video, no
> > opengl support. Can you say SIS Chipset?

I'm just about ready to give up on Mandrake.  First time it agressively
overwrote a windows dist, and this upgrade joke is even worse.

For you, go RED HAT 7.2, as I have experience getting that working on a
SIS board with all built-in SIS stuff.  The only thing not working is
accellerated video.

My 8.0 to 8.1 "upgrade" lost half my prefs, now tries to mount a floppy
twice upon bootup, and renamed all my groups from 'users' to numbers,
which causes an error every time I bring up a terminal.

Has *anybody* had ANY luck with this supposed upgrade?

30-35 packages failed to 'upgrade' without any explanation why, all on
disk2.

Yesterday I had a perfectly functioning M8.0 dist, with working Xv and
Xine, today I have a crap M8.1 dist with holes, and Xine won't even run in
Xv mode.

I'm disgusted as well, is there a M$ mole on the upgrade team?