Thanks for the tip. No I havent backed it up. No point. I've spent so much
time tinkering with the OS I haven't  actually found a use for the computer.
Played a few games of freeciv. Cant play tuxracer, opengl not supported. Ive
upgraded the kernel, and lots of other things.
I even managed to pound xfree86-4.1x into it. Cant use it though. When I go
to change the display properties it still only lets me choose between xfree
3.3.6 and 4.0.3.
My scanner is not supported and sound will not work.
To get my computer to run well under linux I need an new video card (SiS =
bad), sound card (crystal audio codec is an unknown device), Scanner (Mag =
twain only) and a new monitor (VeiwSonic 15es has the wrong refresh rate ???)
So far this free software has cost me $60.
I'm not worried about reformating, I've already done it 5 times.

Apparently Mandrake does not yet support upgrading to kde222. They have some
use at your own risk info

http://www.mandrakeforum.com/article.php?sid=1418&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0