Yikes. I just installed tuxracer --my first attempt at 3D gaming in Linux--
and the framerate is 1 frame per second at best. It's more like watching a
slide show than playing a game.

This seems to be a somewhat common problem? But I haven't found any solutions.

My computer should be able to handle tuxracer. My video card is just a 16MB
Nvidia TNT2 M64, but even with software rendering my 1.1 ghz Athlon should be
able to get, say, 5 fps? :) As far as OpenGL goes I have the mandrake
Mesa-Common and Mesa rpms installed.

Running the gears Mesa demo gave me 250fps, which maybe suggests a tuxracer
problem and not mesa?

Any ideas? I usually just play 2D games, which are fine in Linux. But I
wasn't expecting performance like this.

Matt