MG> Yikes. I just installed tuxracer --my first attempt at 3D gaming in Linux--
MG> and the framerate is 1 frame per second at best. It's more like watching a
MG> slide show than playing a game.

MG> This seems to be a somewhat common problem? But I haven't found any solutions.

MG> My computer should be able to handle tuxracer. My video card is just a 16MB
MG> Nvidia TNT2 M64, but even with software rendering my 1.1 ghz Athlon should be
MG> able to get, say, 5 fps? :) As far as OpenGL goes I have the mandrake
MG> Mesa-Common and Mesa rpms installed.

MG> Running the gears Mesa demo gave me 250fps, which maybe suggests a tuxracer
MG> problem and not mesa?

MG> Any ideas? I usually just play 2D games, which are fine in Linux. But I
MG> wasn't expecting performance like this.

MG> Matt

You did not install the nvidia drivers so your system is not using
your nvidia cards hardware acceleration. Go to nvidia.com and
mandrakeuser.com and follow the instructions.

The fps in gears may be 250, but gears do alot less than tux racer so
it is normal. Actually, it is slow. Just install the drivers.

 Onur Kucuk