On Wednesday 28 November 2001 05:27 pm, you wrote:
> On Thu, 2001-11-29 at 15:06, Paul Rodríguez wrote:
> > I had this trouble some time ago as well (can't remember what version of
> > Bastille, and iptables I was running).  I any case, I was advised, that
> > to get rid of that message, i can get rid of linuxconf from the list of
> > services that Bastille audits.  I don't know much about the issue, and
> > can't find the message in the archives.  But I think the point was,
> > unless you are concerned with someone with physical access to the system
> > making changes via linuxconf, you don't need linuxconf auditing.
> >
> > -Paul Rodríguez
>
>     Do you think the full security configuration I chose was applied, or
> does Bastille abort when it strikes the 'linuxconf' trouble ? Do I need
> to run InteractiveBastille again ?

An easy way to confirm bastille is doing its job is to go to www.grc.com,
then to the shields up section, and have it probe your ports.

it doesn't test all ports, but if all the ports return as "closed" rather
than "stealth", bastille isn't up.

if they don't report as "stealth" run as root

/etc/rc.d/init.d/bastille-firewall start

Although the linuxconf error does not cause bastille to abort. I get that
error as well, I just ignore it.

Matt