I have an AMD Athlon Thunderbird processor.

Do I need to install an Athlon kernel, or just leave everything  (Mandrake 8.1) as is?

Saw this in an issue of Penguin Shell and didn't know if applied to all Linux distros
or not:

"Athlon Kernel]
If you're running an Athlon machine, up2date will update your kernel to i386. Instead
of updating it with up2date, download the 2.4.9-7.athlon.rpm and rpm -ivh it. Grub
will see the old kernel as default so you just need to reset that and you're golden.

- Ernie Schroder"