On Friday 30 November 2001 11:40 am, Mr.E. wrote:
> I have an AMD Athlon Thunderbird processor.
>
> Do I need to install an Athlon kernel, or just leave everything
> (Mandrake 8.1) as is?

    as is.    With an Athlon typing 'arch' in a terminal will return
 ~ $ arch
   i686

> Saw this in an issue of Penguin Shell and didn't know if applied to
> all Linux distros or not:
>
> "Athlon Kernel]
> If you're running an Athlon machine, up2date will update your
> kernel to i386.

  This would actually be a downgrade from a Mandrake kernel which are
i585.  i686 processors like the Athlon are completely compatible. You
could recompile the kernel for i686 or Athlon optimizations but you
won't recieve any benefits, might even lose some.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Galveston Bay, USA