Ed Tharp wrote:

> just delete the first message in the outbox. it has a bad address that does
> not connect to a valid smtp mail server address
>
> On Friday 30 November 2001 01:42, you wrote:
>
>>I'm having a problem sending email in Mandrake 8.1.  Today I tried to
>>send an email with a file attachment (1.8 mb) and I couldn't send in
>>either Kmail or Mozilla Messenger.  When I click on send in either
>>program it appears to be sending the data and then just aborts.
>>Kmail gives me this error message:
>>
>>Sending failed:
>>a SMTP error occured.
>>Command: CONNECT
>>Response: Error reading socket.
>>The message will stay inthe 'outbox' folder until you either
>>fix the problem (e.g. a broken address) or remove the message
>>from the 'outbox' folder.
>>
>>Note: other messages will also be blocked by this message, as
>>long as it is in the 'outbox' folder.
>>
>>The following transport protocol was used:
>>smtp://shawmail:25
>>
>>Mozilla Messenger gives an error message of:
>>sending of message failed
>>
>>The funny thing is I can send smaller text messages with no problems it
>>only seems to happen when I try to attach a file.  My isp has a limit of
>>5 mb so I'm well below that with the 1.8 mb file.
>>
>>Can anybody shed some light on what might be the problem and what I can
>>do to fix it?
>>
>>TIA
>>Steve M.

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

I've deleted the first and only message in the outbox and I'm still
unable to send an email with a file attachment with Kmail, and Mozilla
Messenger.  I've even tried Sylpheed and it also aborts with errors in
sending.  I'm sending to another one of my email addresses that I know
are functional.

Could this be a hardware problem?  Network card?  I'm using a StarTech
10/100 ST100SW connectted to a Linksys hub and from there to a Linksys
single port router which then goes to my cable modem.

Browsing the internet with Netscape, Galeon, Mozilla, & Knonqueror all
work fine.

Steve M.

--
Linux Mandrake 8.1 (Vitamin)