Hello, gurus!

I was trying to change from my default runlevel 5 to single user mode (runlevel 1)
using the command of:

# telinit 1

but I think, I hanged up.  What could be the problem with this?

I am using Mandrake 8.1, default kernel 2.4.8.

BTW, I am planning to upgrade to kernel 2.4.13 (mdk.rpm) from speakeasy.rpmfind.net.
How do I upgrade on this?  Do I still have to change from my default runlevel 5 to
single user mode (runlevel 1)?  What is more appropriate rpm command in upgrading my
2.4.8 to 2.4.13 kernel, the rpm -ivh <package_name> or rpm -Uvh <package_name>?  If
I'll issue the command of:

# rpm -ivh or -Uvh <package_name>

do I still need to configure or something or it will automatically set up?

Thanks for your help.

God bless you...

www.edsamail.com