I haven't used gnome ppp before (I use kppp), but I was forced to not install
kde on a system because the machine has 3 small hd's, the largest is 600M and
the other 2 are around 200M or less.  So, since the smaller footprint is
Gnome, and since the Gnome panel works with Xfce (my favorite small footprint
gui), I decided to install it.  Setting up the dial-up has been problematic
because I'm not familiar with the interface.  As far as I can see the setup
is correct, however it appears that I have a permissions problem.  This
problem is not confined to the one Gnome-only system, however--the same error
occurs when I attempt to use gnome ppp instead of a working kppp dial-up on
other machines.  Anyway, I hit the "connect" button on gnome ppp and
immediately a crash message appears that the "pppd daemon died unexpectedly".
My log files show only that "pppd 2.4.0 started by eryl, uid 501" followed by
"failed to open /dev/modem:  Permission denied", followed by "Exit".  The
error message is identical on both the Gnome-only machine and the machines
with a working kppp.
Can some Gnome guru out there (I know you're on this list) PLEASE tell be
what I have misconfigured, and why it's only a misconfiguration with Gnome
ppp.

Thanks,

eryl