Richard Wenninger wrote:
> yes.. but when that process terminates... the memory should be returned to
> the system, right?  in which case... the OS never lost track of it.

Maybe there are different levels of memory leak?  In many cases after
you shut down a Windows program which continued to use more and more
memory, the memory is freed for the OS.

Example: (sadly) the recent versions of AbiWord (for Windows) that I've
tested have a memory leak.  If you invoke AbiWord and then open and
close additional windows for documents, more and more memory is used,
but not freed up until you close the last AbiWord window, at which point
all the memory is restored.  (Note: some memory is restored each time
you close a document (window), but more and more is locked up until you
finally close AbiWord completely.

There seem to be other memory leaks that do not restore the lost memory
until a reboot.  Now that I've written this, I suspect that some of the
memory leaks are in the operating system itself and some are in
applications, thus making the difference.

Maybe Linux (currently) has no leaks in the operating system itself.
(But, I'll bet some of the development versions have had leaks.)

Speculating,
Randy Kramer