I think so,
check all the service u run. I just use 128Mb, never got like what u got.
I monitor my memory used by gkrellm and open bluefish, opera, netscape, xmms,
yahoo messenger, prozilla download manager, audio galaxy satellite, and still
works fine, with not that much of using memory as u did. It's absolutely not
windoze box!

Well, yeah gnome is good, but kde has too many thing that much more
interesting, like integration of all kde application.

Kde is more fancy, but u could use window maker or black box which is lighter.

-m-