On Saturday 08 December 2001 06:44 am, Bob Kauffman wrote:
> I just installed Mandrake on a Dell Pentium III machine.  It runs well
> alongside Windows ME.
>
> I want to have lilo default to Windows, instead of Linux.  How do I do
this?
> I assume I need to edit the lilo.conf file and move the windows section to
> the top of the list, right?

You can actually do this through linuxconf, but first you have to tell it to
load LILO as one of the things handled by it. If I remember how I did it
correctly, that's Control->Linuxconf Management->Modules.

Then, the button to control LILO should appear in Config->Boot.->LILO. That
will spring up the panel to use. The rest should be fairly obvious.

> If I am right, how do I change the file attributes so I can write to it?

To lilo.conf or to the Windows partition? For the latter, su into root via a
console window, and type: umount /mnt/windows (or wherever the Windows
partition is mounted on your setup). Then, mount /mnt/windows. Everything
should now be writeable (so be careful to avoid hosing Windows!).

Robin M. Weare