On Sunday 09 December 2001 08:59 pm, Terry Smith wrote:
> I know some of you have upgraded to the latest kernel (2.4.13?). Where
> are you finding the rpm's. I don't see them on the Cooker mirrors.
>
> TIA.
>
> Terry Smith

   Your question brings up other cautions.  From the list of mirrors
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/cookerdevel.php3  sooner or later you
might just find that they're not all, always updated the same.  I find
the European mirrors to be the best updated. I like the Netherlands
mirrors, YMMV.

   Currently, 2.4.16-6mdk is the cooker kernel. 2.4.13 is old hat, and
dropped from the mirrors. BUT, there's other issues involved.  If you
install a cooker kernel, you'd best do well to either lurk on the cooker
ML, or at least search the cooker ML archive first, to see what's goin on.
    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker

   Often problems are fixed, but also introduced as the patch level (eg,
-5mdk) increases.  They are, after all, for testing purposes.  I believe
the only way you can judge for yourself when to jump in is to monitor
cooker.  Even then, it's best to make a backup of your /boot directory,
and make sure you install the new kernel with 'rpm -ivh' so as not to
override your current kernel. That done, you can always undo the new
kernel if it's not workin out. You should also have handy the rpm of the
current kernel you're runnin, as you might need to force it back in ('rpm
-ivh --force').

    To save ya' a little time, 2.4.16 -2mdk thru -6mdk have some s-link
issues with /usr/src/ and /lib/modules ... so I'd wait a bit. Specially
since a cooker kernel will work better on a ML system than vanilla source
(development, also for testing, and not patched for ML) from kernel.org ;>

    I've been usin kernel-2.4.16.1mdk for some time, no problems. BUT, it
did also need an initscripts, setup, iptables, and lm_sensors upgrade(s)
to go with it (on 8.1).  These weren't deps that 'rpm -ivh kernel...'
revealed, but upgrades I sort'a knew would be, and proved to be needed.
If you're usin proprietary, closed source, binary only software or
drivers, a kernel upgrade can likely break 'em, as will upgrades to
other system files. That's the (bad) nature of Windoze, err .... I mean
proprietary, closed source, binary only, secret stuff ;~>>
--
____Tom Brinkman _________________ South Texas, USA_____

ignorance, n.:
        When you don't know anything, and someone else finds out.