hi,

be glad to contribute something ;-).

if you look at the mandrake control center->boot->boot config->Advanced , there is a
checkbox (sticky push button box? ;-) that should clean tmp at each boot but for some
reason it doesnt work here. it is not recomended to just delete the locks in tmp as
the program using it may still be active. if you want to do some cleaning just dont
delete the hidden locks as a rule of thumb (i hope you are doing this while out of X
since it depends on the .X0lock file to gain exclusive use of the display :0 or
something like that).

one interesting point that i read in ibm.com was the use of tmpfs as your /tmp. tmpfs
is like a normal filesystem but instead of in the disks, the files are stored in
memory (physical and swap). One drawback is that if you dont specify the maximum size
of the tmpfs you may find yourself running out of memory and your system will resort
to killing the biggest hog which usually is X. The good thing is that your tmp is
really cleaned upon shutdown as all the files in tmp is on volatile memory. if you
issue a mount command you will find that you already have a tmpfs on your system (i
think this was only applicable to 2.2.x and above kernels) and it is mounted on
/dev/shm. if anybody want to read the whole article, go to the MUO board and search
the tips and tricks section for something like ibm.com or filesystem.

if you can free some more space (from windows maybe? ;-) then do so with partition
magic (or whatever tool you have), create a linux partition (choose what type) ang
mount it on /tmp. sorry but that is the simplest route that i can think of but maybe
somebody here can suggest a better idea.

ciao!

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:24:30 +0900
tek1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hi anuerin!
>
> thanks for the excellent suggestion.  will try it!
>
> additional questions abt /tmp
>
> -are the files (that programs place there temporarily) automatically
> cleaned up at certain times, or do we need to manually delete the files
> there?  if the latter, how do we know which we can delete without problem,
> as some sometime have a lock on them (which i guess makes them undeletable?)?
>
> -is there a way to reize the /tmp partition, besides a new installation?
> like partitionMagic or something?
>

> thanks...  :)

<snip>

--

"Programming, an artform that fights back."

Anuerin G. Diaz
Design Engineer
25/F Equitable-PCI Tower
ADB Ave. cor. Poveda St.,