Sorry for posting to the list before I had exhausted my options.  I
found the answer on the xscreensaver web site FAQ.

On versions of xscreesaver < 3.34 (as in the ones included in Mandrake)
there is a default memory limit (to protect against runaway memory) of
50M.  Nvidia cards send a false reading to xscreensaver indicating they
are using > 128M of memory when trying to run a GL screensaver and the
program quits.

It is safe to turn off this feature by editing the .xscreensaver file in
you home directory and changing the "memoryLimit:" from "50M" to "0".

And viola!

-Paul Rodríguez