Never used XP, but is this was a win98 question I'd say the problem was that
you were not logged into the windows box with a valid username/password.

For some reason if you give windows the wrong password it does not stop you
logging on and seeing all the files, but it will stop you browsing the
network.

I think they call it security?

Derek