Thanks for the reply, Mark.

> this is directly from the man page for msec. it would appear that
> it's nothing more then just a small utility that you can directly
> change/modify the security level setting of your Mandrake OS
> letting the kernel know just how secure or not secure the system
> is to be...
> ========================== from the manpage
> ===============================
> DESCRIPTION
>        msec  is  the  main script of msec package. It enables the system
>        administrator to change the security level for that system.  msec
>        is  provided with six preconfigured security levels. These levels
>        range from poor security and ease of  use,  to  paranoid  config,
>        suitable  for  very  sensitive  server  applications,  managed by
>        experts.
>
>        You must be root to run msec .
>        Launch "msec x" to set you security level to x  (x=[0-5]). It'll
>        modify your system according to security level x features.
>        For  a fine description of each security level, consult the docu­
>        mentation under /usr/doc/msec-*/.
> ========================= end of manpage entry
> ============================
> ...whereas Bastille is a high-level system hardening/firewall
> configuration tool.

I'm not sure that the distinction you've drawn actually makes for a
difference. They seem to have a lot of overlap. The only kernel specific
activity I could see msec doing was for redirecting kernel logging to a
different tty but I think Bastille will do that as well. However, after you
mentioned the man pages I thought to ask rpm what dependencies msec had on
other packages and when it didn't list bastille I figured it must be a
separate, parallel system.

So the real question is simply:

 Can I use both or have people found conflicts?

::mark