I forgot to ask the other obvious question.

Have you entered the proxy port nunber into your browsers proxy settings?
The default port number for Squid is 3128

However you should still be able to surf without Squid being properly
configured so long as you have enabled Network Address Translation (NAT or IP
Masquerading) in the Gateway Computer. Can you surf if you do not declare the
proxy in your browser?

You can test if IP Masquerading (NAT) is working if you can ping the Ethernet
adapter on the Internet side if the gateway computer.
If you can ping that, then try pinging the DNS servers.
If that works then try pinging a network server by name like :-
ping www.yahoo.com

It might be worthwhile stopping the Firewall while you debug the system.
Firewalls are notorious for stopping services and get in the way of
faultfinding.  You can stop the firewall with this command
/etc/rc.d/init.d/bastille-firewall stop

As for your question about Host Tables and DNS.
Your computer has to try to resolve network host names into IP addresses
since IP packets use only IP address and never host names.
It will always start by looking at the host table. If there is a match there
it will use that IP address. If there is no entry in the host table for a
given name, then it will use DNS to look up a name.

This is why leaving out the 'localhost' entry is bad. If the localhost entry
is missing, then everytime the computer has to attach to a local socket the
computer will go and ask the DNS server where 'localhost' is, and of course
will not get an answer.