Thanx again,very much derek for taking the time to reply. The port # has been
entered. 3128..I've also tried using port 80 & port 8080 too..lol. Anyways
I'm back to 3128 as we speak :-). It definately won't surf when configged as
a direct connection.

The firewall has been shut down, I was using InteractiveBastille,which along
with iptables & chains have been shut down,taking no chances for the
moment..lol

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "pinging the nic on the 'net side"

So now in the meantime I got the bright idea to just try a fresh install
(idiot) cause now I'm back to the problem of getting that "modem is busy
message again" I fixed this once before and I can't remember how I did it !!

So I'll start over again.The good part is no Bastille has been configged at
all. Gotta get some air now tho..lol.

Hava great Sunday friends :-)

Lee