I need some help

/dev/hdd is partitioned in the following way

--      2.1GB primary partition - free space
hdd5    12GB    logical partition
--      6.2 GB  logical partition

I want to bring the current free space online as linux partitions and then
mount /usr/local on the 6.2gb partition.

Currently, /usr/local is part of the / mount point.

I would really appreciate having someone help walk me throuhg this process.
I took a look a cfdisk ... I can't afford to wipe out the 12GB
partition...which is what I am concerned about doing...

Joe