If you are using 8.1 instead of earlier versions, then MandrakeUpdate should
automatically install the kernel instead of upgrading it, (which hoses the
old kernel
meaning you can't boot if you have a problem)

in /etc/urpmi there is a file called inst.list
in that is a list of partial package names that will be installed instead of
upgraded.
they are:
kernel
kernel-source
kernel-smp
kernel-secure
kernel-enterprise
kernel-linus2.2
kernel-linux2.4
kernel22
kernel22-secure
kernel22-smp
hackkernel

In theory, any package that you find in MandrakeUpdate that starts with any
of those,
they will be installed instead of upgrading, so if there are problems, your
old kernel
should still be there to bail you out.

There appears to be a skip list as well, but that is empty by default.

Does anyone know how to autogenerate all the files in /etc/urpmi and
/var/lib/urpmi?
except for the above mentioned files, mine are all empty, I hosed them when
upgrading to
the cooker version of rpm, rpmdrake and such, the apps still work, but there
are no
sources listed, (I installed from a powerpack 8.1) I have these versions.:

rpm -qa |grep rpm
rpm-build-4.0.3-0.34mdk
urpmi-3.1-2mdk
grpmi-8.1-7mdk
rpmdrake-1.4-4mdk
rpm-4.0.3-0.34mdk
rpmtools-4.0-1mdk
rpmlint-0.35-1mdk
rpm-devel-4.0.3-0.34mdk
rpm-python-4.0.3-0.34mdk

All their depencencies were filled, and all appears to be working, except
that there is nothing in /etc/urpmi except the inst.list and skip.list and
nothing in /var/lib/urpmi except compssUsers.flat, which is either a list of
installed packages, or available packages, I don't know which, I just want
to get rpmdrake and MandrakeUpdate working, they are the last things I have
to fix before I consider this install perfect and move it over to all the
servers...
At the moment I am installing all updates manually, and its a pain in the
"ASSk no questions." :-)

rgds

Frank