I am in the process of installing Mandrake on my systems, but I think if you
check the inetd.conf file, this is on my FreeBSD computers, then you can see
what ports are open.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian K.Harrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2001 8:42 AM
Subject: [newbie] cant connect to apache, ssh, ftp or telnet from network

Hi all,

I installed 8.1 the other day. (3 disc set from cheapbytes). Then use
Interactive Bastille to configure firewalling, internet masquerading and
basic system security.

The problem is that while i can connect to the machine locally
(http://localhost) noone can connect to it over the lan with either
telnet, ssh, ftp or http. These servers are running and I told Bastille
to leave these ports open to the internal network.

On the public network i left ssh and 80 open so i could connect in over
the web from home and so we could host a small company web site. Still
noone can connect to them from the internet BUT i went to www.grc.com
and ran the port probe and it showed the ports as being open. This makes
me wonder if it is a firewall rule that Bastille put in there or is
there something else going on?

Right now the only thing that is working over the lan is internet
masquerading.

Any ideas?
Ian K. Harrell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]