On Sun, 23 Dec 2001 23:38:00 -0600
"Dragon ." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> studiouisly spake these words to ponder:

> Try this, I couldn't connect with SSH from anywhere and I swore up and down
> that Bastille was setup correctly.  Look in the hosts.deny file.  I found an
> entry with ALL:ALL...  I deleted that line and everything worked fine.  I
> could still browse to FTP and HTTP when the line was there but I couldn't
> connect via SSH.  Its another place to look.

here's something that will knot your shorts. some clients have a unique way of
announcing themselves in such a way that PortSentry sees the commnuication as a port
scan and makes an entry in the /etc/hosts.deny file AND then also creates a rule in
the iptables ruleset to block any further attempts at connections from the IP address.
Netscape 6.x is one of these culprits. Specifically, Netscape Messenger 6.x. I
stumbled upon this miserey some time back and have since been able to reproduce this
behavior repeatedly. Drove me crazy for a while till I realized what was going on.
--
daRcmaTTeR
If at first you don't succeed do what your wife told you to do

Registered Linux User 182496
Mandrake 8.1
  7:05am  up 7 days, 22:54,  1 user,  load average: 0.05, 0.08, 0.09