On Fri, 2001-12-21 at 08:25, Nelson Bartley wrote:
> I dunno,
> At this point your best bet is to get the NVidia card. Even though there
> have been problems, which are going to happen regardless of the
> videocard you buy, they are releasing updates which "Hopefully" fix the
> problems. I'm not sure I can say the same about ATI, and the only other
> company that is still around and providing linux drivers is Matrox,
> however they're cards are not really for the 3D gamer anymore...
>
> I personally own a Geforce 2 GTS 32MB (August 2000) and it runs fine for
> me. There are some corruption issues but that's a minor point.
>
> NB
>
> On Fri, 2001-12-21 at 02:46, Stewart Taylor wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I'm in need of a new 3D graphics card that works well under Linux ( V8.1
> > ). There seems to have been alot of problems with nVidia drivers
> > reported on various newsgroups.ATI seems not to supprot their Vivid!xs
> > cards under Linux so I don't know where to look for info. My <only> ;-)
> > requirements are that it works under Win98, at least for a little while
> > yet, and that it works with OpenGL under Linux.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Stewart
> >

> > ----

> > Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
>

> ------------=_1008955604-11608-941
> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

I still see Voodoo3 and Voodoo 5 cards for sale and they do have some
awesome game performance with the Glide libraries, but if you have a
commercial distro of Mandrake witrh an NVidia card, you have the problem
with drivers 99% licked--here is the other 1%

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/81errata.php3#nvidia

And no, we won't put NVidia Drivers on the downloadable disks because it
isn't free (as in speech) software.  Netscape is about the only sin we
have left on those disks, and its day is coming for removal, soon as we
have a functional free alternative.

Civileme