On Tue, 25 Dec 2001 10:47:10 +0000
Alan Dunford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> studiouisly spake these words to ponder:

> Has anyone had experience with spam filters - I am thinking of those routines
> which will identify spammed messages and send relevant data to the growing
> spam filter servers?   I have  had a cursory look at spamassassin and
> mailscanner but have not got either running successfully.
>
> Having had this new account for two weeks only, I am now starting to receive
> spam and would like to do my bit to reduce this annoying menace.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards
> --
>
> Ala

Alan,

I've found _the_ two most effective means of de-spamming your mail on a Linux machine
is procmail and the header_check feature in Postfix/Sendmail. when filtering from the
MTA it's quite powerful. Whether filtering on the client side with procmail, or
filtering on the server side with your local MTA, (that would be the mailserver right
there on your Linux machine) both methods will require you to do some research and
reading before you can actually implement the filtering scheme. ONce you've gotten
this underway though killing spam becomes somewhat of a onesided game. you 100
spammers 0

know what I mean?
--
daRcmaTTeR
If at first you don't succeed do what your wife told you to do

Registered Linux User 182496
Mandrake 8.1
 11:05pm  up 9 days, 14:54,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.09, 0.08