> 1)Yes you are using the right Kernel. The OS is listed as a 586 because
> Mandrake by default loads a 'safe' Pentium/AMD/mmx kernel.  You can make
> your own kernel with the simple GUI tools built into Mandrake, but

        This is as I thought...  But that would be the first thing I've gotten right
in a month of trying.

> compiling an AMD Athlon specific kernel has been known to cause problems.

        I've also been seeing hints that the Athlons (rather the mobos they go in)
might not be the best for an install and forget it Linux.  <SIGH>

> This is NOT a Linux problem.  Some motherboard makers skimp here and there

        As I've noticed myself.  I've actually cured a lot of my ills by upgrading
the bios on my KA7 to current.

> which can cause 'noise' problems.  Feel free to experiment, but I would
> stick with the default kernel for now.

        My wife saw that and told me I've done more than enough experimenting on
this desktop.  She has been waiting since 12/02/01 to actually use Linux.

> 2) Your X_Free version is fine.

        Good.  Reassuring.  Thanks.

> 3) You need to download these files: NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.tar.gz AND
> NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.i386.rpm.  You do not need the source file.  You can
> also download the Mandrake RPM files, but I have found that doing a 'make'
> using the above files has worked better for me.

        What about 2314?  It is only avail in source, but has been up for a while
now I think.  I actually have the following files on my system (some in Linux
since I've reinstalled, and some I actually thought to download in Windows
partition - they may not be the right ones though) in no particular order:
        NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.i386.rpm
        NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2313.mdk81up.i686.rpm
        NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2314.src.rpm
        NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2314.tar.gz
        NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.src.rpm
        NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.tar.gz

> Follow the directions on page 22 of the nVidia instruction PDF to install
> the drivers.

        I think this is where I got so very confused.  I have these files in a
directory (/home/wes/NVIDIAfiles) but I can move them to another directory if
I need to.

>  Then follow the instructions on the PDF on pages 22-23 to
> edit the X-Free config file.

        I remember (more or less) doing the config editing when I did the 1541
drivers in a previouse Mandrake install (all the installs I've done this
month are really running together.  Just an aside, I ran Windows 3.1 for 7
years with no reinstall.  Lucky I guess.  Being to simple to run most virus
programs probbably saved my butt there though.

> The latest nVidia driver version is 1.0-2313.  I haven't tried it yet as I
> have been out of town for the past 3 months.  It is probably ok.  I haven't
> heard of any problems with it.

        I've nosed around on nVidia's Linux (etc) forums, lots of people having lots
of trouble with all of them.  I guess a lot of the people are like me (ie,
most problems are operator error) but still some seem knowledgable.  I think
some of the settings in the newer versions have to be tweaked for the
nicer/newer cards.  Plus like you mentioned, AMD & their mobo's have "issues"
with this OS.  I am getting the idea that that is causing a lot of the nVidia
drivers' problems (for people running single or multi AMD cpus that is).

        Of course _I_ have an AMD cpu (the old model 650 mHz Athlon).  I am
remaining cautiously optimistic.  I've thought about going back to the 1541's
but I can't recall how I installed them and some have issues with them as
well.  I thought I'd try the newer ones first.

> Feel free to e-mail me if you have any additional questions.

        Done and done.  I sure hope you don't come to regret "saying" that.

        But thanks in any case,
        Wes Gregg
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Registered Linux User # 252649 & Lost With No 3d/accelerated gfx