On Thursday 27 December 2001 05:59 pm, you wrote:

> I agree.  I have an Athlon 1GHz and I've given up trying to use nvidia's
> drivers.  I too have noticed that there seem to be a lot of problems with
> AMD cpus and nvidia drivers.
>
> Because I have 1152MB RAM I use Mandrake's enterprise kernels.  The 1541
> nvidia drivers for 2.4.8-26mdkenterprise (from muo a couple of months
> back) work fine with that kernel, however supermount is not supported.
> Thus I also have 2.4.16.3mdk-1-1mdkenterprise installed (supermount works)
> but have been unsuccessful with any of the nvidia drivers so I'm using
> XFree86-3.3.6-23 without 3D accel for this kernel.

        I have read several references that stated we need to only use a (BEEFY)
AMD-approved power supply.  Especially with the faster/newer AMDs and video
cards as they draw lots of wattage.  Also with more ram, bigger/faster
spinning drives, extra pci cards.  I don't _seem_ to have any ps-related
problems, but I only have a cheap 16meg TNT agp card and one pci card (cheap
sound) and one isa card (my usr sportster 33.6 voice modem since my 56k pci
modem uses Conexant's HCF drivers.  They say on their website they will have
Linux drivers for it by the end of the year but <looks at calendar and shakes
head>...).

        I assume you've been through the nVidia drivers with a fine-toothed card.  I
also assume if it is an Abit mobo you have tried turning off AGP to see if
that takes care of it.  Read a reference that some of their older mobos
wouldn't work properly with AGP - that they discovered this while developing
their own nVidia-based video cards.  Apparently it has something to do with
power, as they say there are a handful of power supplies that overcome this
problem (somehow).

> I've tried 1541, 2313 and 2314 with rpms, source rpms and compiling from
> the tarballs to no avail.  I also compiled 7 different kernels myself and
> tried each driver with each kernel before I realised I was wasting my time.

        <Ouch!>

> The strange thing is that with most nvidia driver installs it all worked
> just fine and dandy (gears, tuxracer, tuxkart, etc) until I restarted X or
> rebooted then I started getting segmentation faults all over the place.

        Hey.  I think I read something about this situation on (possibly) nVidia's
linux forum.  Could have been Mandrake User forum.  It might have something
to do with that "depmod a" command, but I don't think so (my memory is
faultier than my computer's).

> To make matters worse, it appears that my monitor - Philips 107S - causes
> problems so I'm using a generic multisync monitor driver.  The Philips
> drivers that come with LM work but there are errors/problems.

        I bought my monitor in 1994 - all I can use are the generic drivers.  Which
brings to mind something I've been wondering about since my first install at
the first of the month:

        Does anyone know the difference between "Generic SVGA" and "Generic Extended
SVGA" or whatever it is in the "Generic Monitor" section?

> So until I find a kernel that supports supermount and the nvidia drivers
> work with it, I'll have to boot between these two kernels.  Not that I'm
> complaining...  ; )

        I hope you get it all worked out before you get tired of trying.  Another
question:  My box (Mandrake Linux 8.1 Powerpack) says I have kernels 2.4.8
and 2.2.19.  But when I installed (over and over) I never saw a place for
choosing kernels.  It seems I have 2.4.8.26 installed automatically?

> skinky

        I'll just have to take your word on that one!  8-P

        Later,
        Wes Gregg
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Registered Linux User # 252649