I've not really tackled the problem of my sound card not working since my
computer started yet, because there were other priorities. However tis the
holiday season and my ecards gave me another clue as to what's going on while
trying to play a midi file.
"Couldn't open /dev/sequencer"
"Probably there is another program already using it"

I've never gotten a peep of sound, except for the computer default beep. Not
as root, or my user login. Not with a midi, wav, or mp3. The sound settings
appear to be on, nothing happens. This is the first time I've actually seen
an 'error' message out of it.

In KDE COntrol Center, there would appear to be no MIDI device selected, and
the aRTs soundserver is selected to begin on startup of KDE. Under
Information, no information is available about the soundcard.

As far as HardDrake is concerned, it calls my sound card "VIA Technologies
VT82C686 (Apollo Super  AC97/Audio)". A possible problem seems to be under
Other Devices (?), where three other "VIA Technologies" devices are listed.
Unknown device ID 11060305, Unknown device ID 11060305 again, and another
copy of what's listed under soundcard, except it's labeled "Apollo Super
ACPI".

What the heck happened here? I'm not yet clear how much was screwed up by the
guy who installed this for me, and how much is inherent Linux difficulties.

TIA,
David Reynolds
butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program
a computer,  cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.          -- Robert Heinlein