On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 10:14:25 +0200, robin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Civileme wrote:
>

> > KDE _is_ a memory hog since it does aq whole lot more than a similar
> > Windows GUI these days.
> >
> > Now the reason I recommend kerbel 2.2 is that the stock 2.4 kernels
> > available this version do swap a lot--the newer 2.4 kernels have a
> > better volume manager/ virtual memory, but the earlier 2.4 kernels
> > will make a 166 seem slow.
>
> Ah, so is that why my box slowed down after upgrading to 8.1?  My office
> machine now runs slower than my home machine, even though the former has
> a faster processor (though rather less RAM).  Only differences are the
> difference between 8.0 and 8.1 and having a FTP server on the office box
> (only ever used when I'm not there).  Is there any way I can persuade
> KDE to do a little less?  I know IceWM goes like greased lightning, but
> I'm kind of used to KDE now, and my Windows-using workmates would also
> not be pleased at having to learn another of these "weird" Linux desktops.
>
> Or should I just wait for 8.2?
>
> Robin

Well, there are the basics (which can apply to any desktop or OS), like not
using desktop wallpaper, using minimal themes (the default is quite fast), no
unnecessary sounds, use small and fast apps, etc.

You may also want to try Enlightenment, Blackbox, ROX or XFce. Even GNOME can be
quite quick if you disable Nautilus (if you really want you can use GMC
instead).

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

        "Because I'm a bastard, and proud of it!" -- Linus Torvalds