X-RebelTech Is Here: http://www.rebeltech.ca

yes, the card is found by the bios, at boot time. it finds a free IRQ which i
am certain is not used by anything else. because my previous card was old ISA
that i manually locked to IRQ10. when i released that IRQ, the new card took
it up automagically. i am using an abit BP6 mainboard, it has a pretty decent
soft setup in the bios.
i should have mentioned i am running LM8.0 2.4.3-20smp

harddrake finds new hardware on boot but locks up when trying to configure
the card. so, then i decided to try to manually add it via linuxconf.
that is where i noticed most other cards in the list of available card types
had the (inst) before the name of the driver. i assume this means Installed.
as in the driver is already built in to the kernel?

i was trying to compile the driver because that is what the instructions that
came with the card told me to do. to build the .o file.
funny thing is that none of the other NIC drivers that i found on my HD were
.o files they all were .c

i would gladly use the mandrake drivers. heck, i don't actually care who
supplies the driver. ;-)

moose.