Eric wrote:

> I did a kernel header, doc, and kernel update with mandrake on my 8.0
> system.  Everything installed just fine but I can no longer use ppp to
> get on the internet.  I tried modprobe -v ppp and it can't seem to
> find it.
>

> I am out of ideas.
>

> Crapola I shouldn't have updated through security updates.
>

> Eric

You didn't read the security advisory which would have told you that you
_cannot_ update a kernel.  You must download it and _install_ it.
 Updating produces a new kernel with the older modules, initrd.img, and
System.map and it is a miracle if it even boots.

Civileme

Everything but kernels will update OK through the security updates.  We
have tried to make sure that Software manager in 8.1 will only install
kernels, but we have discovered it can be fooled in multiple updates at
once.