On Saturday 29 December 2001 03:42 am, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On Saturday 29 December 2001 20:03, Andrew wrote:
> > |  Hi All,
> > |
> > |   I have been having a long wait to do anything in Mandrake 8.0
> > |  w/KDE on 32m RAM. A few hours ago I put in *128M* and it only
> > | reads 65m or so, it is much faster. Maybe it would be faster
> > | still if *128m* was reading? How do I use the GUI to set the
> > | ram? If no GUI, can I get to lilo while the server is running,
> > | or do I need to shut it down and restart?
>
> As root, open /etc/lilo.conf in an editor. After the "label=" line,
> add a line which looks like "append = "mem=xxxM", where "xxx" is
> your RAM in MB. Save the file, run "lilo" and reboot.

     I'd add:  if "append = "mem=xxxM" doesn't work, try adding a
space, eg,  "append = " mem=xxxM"    Also, it's a motherboard/bios
difficiency that causes all the installed ram not to be seen. In
these cases it's a good idea to subtract one MB, append = " mem=127M"
'Couse if onboard video is used, that ram should also be subtracted.
--
      Tom Brinkman             Corpus Christi, Texas, USA