what do you mean by usable?

there is 'rec' for the command line (you probably have this installed already
try 'rec --help' at a prompt, in gui i use 'audacity' which is on cooker if
not the main distro, and is an mdk rpm, as for the device file i keep reading
about how devfs uses different device file names than the old system maybe
this is where you are becoming unstuck?

bascule