Hi Mark,

Well, if devfsd would have worked properly the devices would have been
created dynamically.
You should disable the devfsd alltogether as it fucks up in every way.
You do this by taking out the devfsd mention from your lilo.conf file.
After editing run 'lilo' off course.
Then reboot. If you use cmd MAKEDEV you can re-create the missing devices.

I have scsi & ide buses and devfsd fucked up big time for me too.

Guy.