Sound has never worked as it should on my 8.1 with
SB Live Value, but it's worked well enough to do
what I want (for instance, using mpg123 or ogg132
instead of xmms, etc.).  Things are still fine, but
I'm regularly expiencing something strange that I
thought I ask about.

When startx into KDE, I hear no startup sound. But
if, later in the session, I play a song, like with
mpg123, the KDE startup sound plays all of the sudden.
It doesn't affect the music playing at all. It's just
weird.

Any ideas?

Miark