DStevenson wrote:

> Have you run sndconfig from a shell...this solved my problem that was same as yours.
>
> Dave.
>
> On Thursday 03 January 2002  1:44 pm, Miark wrote:
>
>>Civileme,
>>
>>I stand corrected. It did make a difference:
>>now XMMS won't play music at all with any
>>of the three output plugins. mpg123 and ogg13
>>are dead, too.
>>
>>FreeAmp is the only thing that plays, and when
>>I use it the first time, I do not hear the
>>KDE startup sound.
>>
>>Miark

OK if some things still work, then you were using _both_ OSS and alsa
drivers.  Now look in /lib/modules/(kernelnumber)/sound for a driver and
alias it in in /etc/modules.conf as

alias sound drivername (without the .o.gz)

and remove any reference to alsa sound drivers, since you have turned
alsa off.

reboot and see if you get normal sound...

Civileme